Monday, January 23, 2012

Friends

It's funny, how popular Facebook is. (So popular, in fact, that most of my blogs of late seem to involve the word.)  In fact, it has made me rethink an idea that I used to have.  I used to think that you could never have too many friends.  I was wrong.  Facebook clients have too many friends.  Even if you were amazingly selective and limited yourself to 10 Facebook friends...it would still be too many to keep up with and you would probably LITERALLY be rejecting at least one friend request per day.  It is such a superficial communication means that, at best, is a way to inform alot of people something very important: death, sickness, tragedy...or, at worst, air a petty grievance to too many folks.  And yet, we are in love with it.

So easy to update your life with a sentence and catch up with others by reading their sentence.  And if that isn't enough...there is always a Twitter option...which is Facebook on crack.

Facebook, for me, is a way to get to my true drug of choice: Word with Friends.  I am playing Scrabble with people I would never get to sit down and play Scrabble with and that is sooo AWESOME.  You learn alot about people when you play Scrabble with them. You learn about yourself too.  Triple point letter block  and the only word you can make is 'piss'...well, there are those who would never and those like me.

I digress.  The point of this post is that YES, you can have too many friends.  You can have more people that you are in touch with than you could ever keep up with as TRUE friends.  AND, if you have grand expectations of all of those friendships, Facebook will be a place where you get your heart broken into thousands of sharp and cutting shards.  However, if you can keep your perspective and think of Facebook as the greatest networking tool ever invented...a place to really 'additionally' connect with a SELECT FEW and loosely connect with everyone you have ever met or hope to meet...then you, my 'friend' have hit the jackpot of "Let's keep in touch."

1 comment:

ShortyMom said...

I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. I love the fact that I can see what's going on with friends that I don't get to see often but I hate those who add me as a friend and I accept only to find they wanted to see into my life and block me after. I do love my words with friends though :)