Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Conspiracy Theory

I have much time to think this evening.  Too much time, in fact.  The youth group at church, which my angels  devils  teens are a part of, is fasting from TV this week.  I love TV.  I love it too much and I am OK with that.  It is mindless drivel and a complete waste of time.  Fine.  Whatever.  I do so many other things which are not mindless, not wastes of time, and so kicking back for some brain numbing is just fine on occasion.  Plus we sometimes watch documentaries and educational shows, those are not at all mind numbing.

Anyway...with all this thinking time, I am wondering if this is some sort of conspiracy from Sara to try and get me to blog more.  Maybe both Saras and Stephanie too...yeah, that's the ticket!  Because I know that everyone is just dying to read my amazing blog posts.  I really can't think of any other reason for me to give up TV.  Conspiracy.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Next week, we are fasting from indoor plumbing and electric lights.

(In all seriousness, this is an excellent fast.  It is only day 2 and I have accomplished so much more than usual.  I have even marked two things off my 'whenever I can get a round tuit' list.  I also think TV itself is not bad, it is all the other good things it keeps us from that is bad...like family activities and conversations.)

4 comments:

Sara said...

I seem to remember a wise woman's blog post along these same lines....
"I bet America is the only country whose citizens are more plugged into pretend people (TV, movies) than real people. We fret and wonder over what will happen to Abby on ER while our neighbors lives may be falling apart. We care more about our "friends" on TV than we do our real live friends(or family). I have definitely been more interested in staying home and watching a show(or worse, flipping through all the channels and watching nothing!) than getting out and being around people. I am trying to do better, but it takes alot of thought and consideration. Sadly, sometimes when I am out with people, I talk about TV...that is pitiful! As I am trying to be more useful to God, the character flaws are coming out like you would not believe. Hopefully there will be very little Janice left when he is done with me. If I were not so stubborn, we could have been done with all this years ago. I am trying to break the TV habit but it is very hard to quit. It is so entrancing...gotta get off of here...time for Frazier... I love that Daphne...LOL! Keep praying for me, I am slowly evolving into a real LIFE!"
November 11, 2005

Sara said...

I pray this week will be so FULL of Him that the death threats will stop coming our way. :)

janjanmom said...

YIKES!! Me own words are hauntin' me!

Sara said...

"Hauntin'"? No way! Inspiring or encouraging is more like it. It is still a great post. God's up to something in you and I'm just thrilled to have front row seats to watch Him work. He's so in love with you, He doesn't want to share you with the tv!