Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Working Momma

When I had reluctantly, finally and then excitedly made the decision to put all three kids in school, there was another issue that came up immediately.  Would I continue to be a stay-at-home mom or would I re-enter the work force?  Hmmm...I did have some new found time.  Hmmm...I don't love to clean enough to do it all day long on school days.  Hmmm...we could use the money, free education is so far from free!!  Hmmm...it would have to be the right job.  So, I luckily stumbled upon the right job and was hired by American Greetings.  Uber flexible and not many hours at all.  The perfect balance, in fact, the hours were so slight that I could do all my work for the week in one day.  I joked about having a job but never really having much work.

Alas, of one thing I am certain: there is always change!!  Now, my job has kicked up a notch.  Instead of working 3-5 hours a week, I am working between 15 and 26.  I no longer have 3 low maintenance stores, I have 6 stores-4 are high maintenance.  I did ask for more hours and I am glad to get them.  The hours I work are still completely determined by me...at least to some extent.  There are stores that need me to arrive on a certain day some weeks...like this week when my hours are not very flexible at all.

So now, I have gone from full-fledged stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to full-fledged part-time working, public schooling mom.  WOW.  I could argue both side of this particular coin.  I can't firmly be in either camp because I see the merits of both.  I thoroughly enjoyed my former lot in life and now I am thoroughly enjoying this one.  I think the kids would say the same when they are not trying to give me a free guilt trip.

A year ago, I would not have predicted any of this.  Goes to show you never can tell what tomorrow will bring to your doorstep.  Best thing is to keep it swept off and never say never.

No comments: