Tuesday, July 06, 2010

The Story of Me...Part 2

As broken as I was, I took some positive steps in my life.  I gave up on nursing school-I was not cut out for it, not even a little bit.  I began communications courses instead...I wasn't sure what I wanted to be when I grew up, but I knew I liked communicating.  I got a 'real' job (after about 2 years of waitressing jobs) doing bank processing, one with benefits and a 401K...my hours were 12PMto 8PM so I could still PAR-TAY without affecting work.  I moved back home and started saving some money, paying off some bills and trying to grow-up a bit.  When I hit the final relationship/partying/bar scene bottom...I even began to change my dating/clubbing habits.

So now I was the new single girl at work and everyone wanted to fix me up with someone.  I was not interested.  I was trying to really look for someone who was a nice guy-not to marry, I had long given up on that fairy tale-just a nice guy to date.  My ducks were almost in a row, I was almost passing for normal.  I had hardly any friends left, by choice.  One of my good friend's cousin, Beth, became someone I was hanging out with alot.  She and her husband, Pete, had one daughter, Kirsten.  I became smitten with their family and the life they had.  Kirsten was a lovely toddler that was very picky about who she liked and she liked me.  Beth and I developed a very strong friendship.  She was teaching me how to be a wife and mom, though at the time it was all subconscious.  I had developed a pattern of going to their house a few nights a week after work.  One night, I arrived at their house after work and there was a Harley on the carport.  My sister and her husband had a Harley and I just loved it when he took me for a ride every so often.  I had worked with a guy when I was about 17 who took me for motorcycle rides and began my love for them...even though he rode me over the Brookport Bridge on it.  I was in a state of shock thinking about Pete getting a motorcycle.  When I came into the house teasing him about his cool factor going up...I was met with a guest who was the owner.  He was also the owner of some pretty awesome dimples.  He asked me if I wanted to go for a ride.

1 comment:

Jason, as himself said...

Ahhhh, I wonder who this Harley stranger could be?

I like that you got yourself out of a place that you didn't want to be and made serious efforts to get in a better place.

I like stories with effort involved!