Saturday, December 01, 2007






Nostalgia


Today Kayla had a chorus performance. I can assure you she is much more excited about being dressed up and photographed than she is about singing. See that big glorious smile?(Sorry for the extreme grainy close-up, I cropped out all the other children since I don't know how their parents feel about them being pictured on my blog!!) She does not love singing yet somehow she convinced her father and me(isn't it funny that "I" sounds better there but that isn't correct since it is an object not a subject-your daily gram of grammar) that she did to be a part of chorus. She will be a better singer for it. Anyone can learn to sing. Not everyone can love it. You either do or you don't. Some of these parents make their kids sing. For the prestige. Heh, heh. It's a one year commitment for us, kind of like the year she picked flowers while "playing soccer".

Anyway, today's gig was at a Holiday Mart. One that I worked last year as the Pampered Chef lady. As I ran into old friends that I have made through four years of working booths, parties and Shop-til-U-Drops, I was nostalgic. I missed the sales fun. I am a natural born salesperson. If it is a product I like and it is good quality, I want you to have it.(ie. soaps) I want to encourage you to buy it. I want to sell it to you and make commission. I want you to enjoy it even if I don't make commission.(soaps) At times in my life that has been a financial boost-like selling Pampered Chef. I was good at it. I love the products-they are a bit pricey, but totally worth every cent. Most of them anyway-I was honest about the ones that weren't worth the money. I am an honest salesperson. I love to help people Christmas shop, or stock their kitchens with USEFUL tools. I sold cars once for two weeks-I was really good at it. My bosses were crooks though. They were so "shady" I had to "leave". (punny I know) They were so shocked when I gave notice. I had sold three cars. My commission was well over $1000. No one else had ever quit for ethical reasons. I laughed to myself when they went out of business. A long happy satisfied laugh.


I digress, as always. Today was fun. It was fun to shop and buy from some of my friends. I didn't need a thing, but I know how hard it is to have a bad day-they were having a bad sales day. Most of them had not learned the fine art of "hawking" their wares. Even if they had been, very few chorus moms had gone through the ordeal of getting there with a child dressed and ready for performing at an early hour to shop. They wanted the heck out of Dodge when the performance was over. Some of the vendors were not even talking to the people walking by. (Make a friend, make a sale.) I wanted to help them have a better sales day. (See an old friend, make a sale.) Hubby won't be pleased. I did buy good useful things-I wasn't flippant or even excessive. We are talking less than $75. Good thing he has lots of gigs lined up. To keep me in the manner I am accustomed. Heh, heh.
True confession: Though I hate admitting it, I am not always frugal. Usually, but not always. Sweet chestnut body butter, I love you. Hubby, would you like a sweet chestnut body butter backrub?? That's why I bought it! (Okay, one of the reasons.)

1 comment:

Jason, as himself said...

I'm fascinated that you are a natural salesman. . . saleswoman. . . salesperson. There is nothing I would hate worse than that. I'm not assertive, I'm not outgoing, I'm afraid of strangers. I worked at Eddie Bauer for about three weeks but I couldn't take it any more. The worst, though, was being a phone salesman, trying to convince people to buy water softeners. Now that was torture.

It takes talent to be a salesman!