Friday, January 05, 2007

POLITICS AND RELIGION?

I finished Bill O'Reilly's book, THE CULTURE WARRIOR. It is as awesome as I knew it would be. He brings to light a strange dance we Christian traditionalists have to dance. Where do we separate ourselves in the church/state arena? Do we? I believe the founders of our government were Godly men and I believed God has blessed and will continue to bless the work that they did. I also believe you cannot have allegiance to both God and country in the same way. God is jealous and demands no others before him. I also know that he blessed nations that went to war for their country. What position does God want me to take as a believer in this day and age? What am I to do in such a time as this?

I have great issues with AFA and their militant stance against homosexuals. Love the sinner, hate the sin is my motto. My sins are just as ugly as the sins of homosexuals. However, I don't believe they should marry so I support the work AFA is doing to prevent that. It is such a tightrope to walk. I hate that Christianity is know by non-Christians as bigoted and holier-than-thou. When I ask myself, WWJD?, I don't think he would run print and radio commercials against the sinners. I think he would be in their company and talking with them. I think he would extend grace and love, but also, INTOLERANCE for the sin. He rebuked the woman at the well very gently after he had already shown her mercy and acceptance with, "Go and sin no more." We are not loving people. We are holed up in our little churches just waiting for the sinners to come through our doors and then we will love them, and train them and keep them for our very own. Is this the model of Christ? Was he always in a building with a few friends waiting for people to come or did he actually dare to mingle with the sinners? We need some changes in the body of Christ and it ain't just a more comtemporary worship service!!

2 comments:

jettybetty said...

AMEN and AMEN!
The sin of homosexuality is a tough one--I do believe it is sin--but like you say--I have plenty sins that are just as ugly. I don't think God can see them as married, because God's definition of marriage is between a man and woman. Are you against a *civil union* (between non-believers) though?
We do need to get outside our church buildings, too--that's where the people who don't know Jesus are.
You have some great thoughts here--thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I haven't even read this blog yet at 8:00 a.m.- I took one look at the time that it was written and said to myself, "She is amazing! Two and half hours on the phone and then blogging! Wow!".