Saturday, May 01, 2010

Easy?

I have spent the last few days reflecting on something I have been taught my whole life:

Doing the right thing should come naturally (easily) to Christians.

To that I must say unabashedly...and with the same vigor as my high school history teacher...HOGWASH!

Doing what is right is not easy. I think I would have to say it is always harder than coasting along doing whatever you want. Thinking of others before yourself, following the teachings of Christ, forgiving people who wrong you, being honest and trustworthy, and generally living a life that IS making the choices that Christ made. AND, don't kid yourself, he WAS human and it was hard for him too.

I have had a very tough week. It has been tough to make some right choices in the face of other people not holding to the same principles. It would be easy to pat myself on the back and feel superior. EXCEPT for the fact that as many times as I may have gotten it right this week, I have gotten it wrong also.

This is a tough road we are traveling. It isn't a nice world we live in. People are hard to live with. I am hard to live with. I have spent the last few days being very thankful for grace and the forgiveness I receive that allows me to pass it on to other people...even when I don't wanna.

No comments: