Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Boring Health Update

Just in case you did not read my post yesterday and click on the link, please do so. Information is the key to so many things we don't understand.

Today, I thought I would update my health journey since I haven't done that in a while.

I'll start with my knees, specifically the right one that gave me so much trouble! It is much better. I believe that my work in aerobics has strengthened the muscles around my knee (above and below) and improved its function exponentially. AND, for that, I am grateful. It is still very stiff in the mornings and if I sit too long. This makes me think the diagnosis of early onset arthritis is accurate.

Current weight loss is still 17 pounds. Easter conquered any new weight loss. Too much food and candy really did me in for a little over a week. I can tell I am smaller now by looking at some pictures taken of me. I'm not 'there' yet, but it is really nice to see some progress for myself. More people are noticing, but they are very discreet and casual with their comments to me which is a blessing. Also though, I am in such a much better place than I have ever been before-the comments won't freak me out and derail me as they have in the past.

Diet changes are great...except when I don't follow it. Then, I crave sugar just like I always have. It is positively insane that it makes such a difference, but it does. Sometimes, I just haven't shopped for fresh fruit and veggies to replenish. That is when I make some really bad choices! As long as that only happens for a day or two, the damage is minimal. Going many days like I did through Easter, sabotage!

Giving up soda. I mostly have not regressed at all. However, I have decided that every once in a while is not going to kill me. I no longer 'CRAVE' it. An occasional soda does not seem to create the insane addiction that regular consumption does. Especially diet coke. I firmly believe there is an added ingredient that makes it (and all sodas) highly addicting. Tea sweetened with sweet 'n low is my splurge and I try to drink water as much as possible...though I do drink more tea. I used sugar for a while because I know that sweet 'n low is bad for me-but I just can't do those calories yet...someday I will make a clean break from artificial sweeteners. One step at a time.

I have muscle definition in my arms-on top, there is still plenty soft squishy underneath. ( : I also have butt muscles...OVERSHARE :0 I like the way exercise makes me feel. My energy level is through the roof, compared to me before exercise. An added bonus I did not expect: my skin is clearer. Go figure. It must be all the sweating!

There you have it, more information than you wanted to know.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

How many calories are in STEVIA? It's all natural and stuff (we even had a stevia plant, but you can buy just the liquid or powder form)...and it's a sweetener.

Also, Agava nectar or honey...what's the calorie count on those? Just wondering :)

Becky K. said...

This sounds like an excellent update.
Keep up the great work!

Becky K.