Thursday, February 05, 2009

Day 10 Without Power

I had a special wish when I blew out my birthday candles. A wish I have never wished before. (At least I've never birthday wished it!) I wished for our power or my in-laws power to come back on. I'll take either these days. It has been OK but as this drags on it is getting harder. "Don't mess with Memaw" has been the mantra and while we giggle, the girls really do obey her much quicker than Erik or I. My girls are not exactly misbehaving, just reacting in very normal ways for kids who have spent way too much time away from home snuggled up with family.

We have all gained about 5 pounds each so far. When all you have to think about is what is for your next meal, that meal tends to be pretty tasty-fat and calories are not taken into account. We are really tired of cooking on the grill though. It really is like camping and while I don't want to seem ungrateful, I'm tired. I also have p-envy. I drive by alot of people with power and I am jealous. Very, very jealous. I've used a birthday wish and everything. The good news is that our gas bill and electric bill should be pretty cheap next month. To add insult to injury, we received this month's power bill in the mail. I am so thankful I don't answer the phones at the power company. 10 days makes some people really crabby. I say a prayer for Hula every night. I wonder if she longs for the snowman six days.

Hubby and I surveyed the damage again at our homestead. We really do have alot of damage but most of it won't be covered by insurance. Trees actually have to damage something when they fall to be covered. We have double digit trees down. Some of them are bigger around than me. *sigh* We are thankful none of them fell through our house, they could have done so very easily. We are blessed and very spoiled. We long for normal. Soon...if you have a birthday wish, I'd love it if you could wish our power back on. ( ;

(Mia, I'm glad my wish got your power back!!)

3 comments:

Mia said...

You need to tell me where you are! I have no idea where you are taking refuge! I went by your house before church yesterday. Yes the ice did some landscaping : (
Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Thanks for the prayers. Keep 'em comin'. We still have a long way to go.

Trailboss said...

Oh girl, I feel your pain. Our power came back on last night, but hula is with another company than the one that powers my house. I have JPEC. Good luck. I hope you go home today and it is on. It's a great feeling.