Friday, February 29, 2008


Frog-Eating
First things first...HomeEc 101 is giving away a prize package for their birthday...go enter before tomorrow!!

I am listening to an audio CD of the book, Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy. The description is
" 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time." The kids think it is hilarious but I am thoroughly stoked about the possibility of changing a habit that began somewhere around my first research paper. I have so many projects started and not finished right now it is downright comical. Except it is not really funny. I start with gusto and excitement and then that fizzles. Then the whole thing starts to feel like a huge burden. Then I decide I will do it later when it feels exciting again. It never feels exciting again. 'Tis a vicious annoying cycle. To be fair to myself, a whole lot of projects I have started require skills that I do not possess to finish or are bigger than what one person without huge blocks of time can do-but still, they remain undone.


So, can you tell I am on a self-improvement kick? I have some quirks that I just really don't like about myself and I am seeking to make them better. The first one is being selfish and wanting my way all the time. The second is putting issues before people. The third is procrastination due to lack of planning. Co-op has taught me so much about planning. We were required to do a syllabus and that has kept me on track all year with one subject. The other subject has been a nightmare. Mostly because I have had to keep changing the course to fit the needs of the kids-but still, operating without a plan has made it not very much fun to teach. I also did an experiment before with posting menus on Monday for the entire week. IT was great. I knew what we were having every meal and that was enough to spur me on the meals that I did not want to cook. It also allowed someone else to cook and know exactly what to do if I was unavailable. Planning works. It really really does.


Today, I am going to eat the laundry frog. All of it. I am going to finish laundry before I do another thing. Wish me luck. Ribbit.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm impressed! Keep at it . . . you probably won't work miracles, but you will see small improvements that keep getting better and better over time! My favorite people are always those who can adapt and change!