Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Me, Me, Me...mememe and Mom

I gotta be me! Okay, Hula, you got me. I know full well that everyone else IS just as busy, just as pressed for time as me. However, in my little world where the EARTH does indeed revolve around me, I often forget about other people all together. I forget that there are three of you reading and saying, "Harrumph! She thinks she is busy, she otter step in my shoes for a week." Yeah, yeah, whatever. I sit corrected.

Today is my mom's birthday. We are celebrating with a chili supper. This is the south and we like to celebrate (and fund raise) with chili. I am trying to figure out how to work a big fire into the mix too, because chili +hot dogs +fire=smores/chocolate which when you shake it all down is fun, squared. Anyway, in other math, my mom is 66 today. It has been a good year. It kicks the previous year in the buttocks. Mom is almost unlimited in what she CAN do. She is somewhat limited by what she WILL do. Overall though, she can do almost anything she wants as long as it does not involve carrying anything. Grocery shopping and shopping in general require a pack mule. We daughters try to take turns with that. We all hate it when it is our turn(and this is much more about getting backed into a corner than taking turns) but we try to build a bridge and get over it. I am amazed at the resilience of the human body. Even a human body not in the best of health. God is amazing-He has built the best machine ever. I am thankful for being on this side of the amputation. I am thankful that my mom still has alot of good years left before she is totally reliant on help from us. I am thankful to again be back to focusing on raising my kids and occasionally helping out instead of vice versa. I am forevermore sympathetic to people in wheelchairs and their caregivers. I hate that it took this to wake me up already, but at least I woke up. I am also happy that MOST people are helpful when you are helping someone disabled.

So, I am celebrating today in a big way at home right now. I am thankful for a good prognosis for Mom. I am counting blessings all over the place. Tonight, when we make fun of Pam for holding grudges over socks, it will be bittersweet. Even more as I attempt to let go of any family grudges, I will try to focus on just enjoying the love and the relationships I am blessed to have. I am really beginning to truly love all of the dysfunction that is my family. Also, I am completely in awe of how my dysfunction fits in so perfectly.

No comments: