Monday, February 04, 2008

Blessed Birthday

I had a very blessed day tacking another year onto my life-o-meter. Sandy assured me I did not look older. Many people at church gave me birthday hugs and well wishes. My care group had cards, cake and the birthday song. (We also had thanksgiving dinner for our meal which was sooooo yummy!) We got home to a lovely gift bag on the door full of wonderfulness. (THANKS MIA!!) My dad came over with the customary cash birthday gift that was much appreciated. We had birthday cake and a one hour visit. (My dad always visits for one hour only-any longer and we assume his car turns into a pumpkin.) We had a very nice visit. We talked about the night I was born, my grandpa, politics and money. My dad once again admitted he had made alot of mistakes in his life and wished he had learned some lessons earlier. He talks about this frequently. I think he wrestles with some guilt and regret. I invited him to church to learn one more lesson life would like to teach him. He chuckled and declined. I don't press. Someday he might come around, maybe. I keep praying.

Erik made steaks for supper which was totally awesome. He and the girls watched the super bowl. I watched Gilmore Girls-alone, totally awesome. It was a great day.

Tonight we are having some friends over for supper. Soemthing I have been wanting to do for a long time. As the devil tries to convince me I am not plugged into church-I have decided to fight back by doing some proactive things to build relationships. This will include forging relationships with people through fellowship. This seems to be working better than being depressed that I don't fit in.

This is going to be a tough week as I have lots of commitments made and have also found out-yesterday-that my stepfather had a stroke and is in the hospital for ar least two weeks. One of my good friends had a wreck Saturday night-her 16 year old was driving-and is in ICU(The friend not the daughter, daughter has a broken ankle). They were hit head-on by a woman doped up on prescription drugs-her fourth DUI(INSERT MUCH ANGER). Another new friend is undergoing a lumpectomy. There is much to do to serve this week. Enough to keep the devil quiet for the week.

2 comments:

Mia said...

just thought a little Hawaii in February might be nice!So glad you had a good birthday.

Julie Anne said...

Glad you had a great b-day, Janice! I want some cake.