Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Double your pleasure, double your fun...

...when two have chickenpox instead of one. Kayla decided the 30 chickenpox she had at two was not enough to count and decided to get them again. Erika only had 10 when she was three-but has decided for now not to join the pox bandwagon. We got medicine from Dr. Telle to make the duration and intensity less. The medicine has to be taken within 24 hours of the first pock so I think we are doing good. Scalp is the first place to start getting them.

Now I will participate in a meme that I got from Sandy because I know you are sick of the chicken pox!!


1) ONE HOMESCHOOLING BOOK YOU HAVE ENJOYED

I read a few books when I first got started, but none of them really inspired me. Soooo, the best inspiration for me comes from this website and I will call that my "book" for today.

2) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULDN’T BE WITHOUT

The library. We live and breathe the library. Especially now that I am in declutter mode. I love that we get the books, borrow them & take them back. NO CLUTTER! AWESOME!! We also listen to many, many books on CD that would cost $30-50 a pop if we had to buy them.

3) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH YOU HAD NEVER BOUGHT

To narrow it down to one is very hard. I bought everything remotely "schoolish-looking" at yard sales for a whole summer. (And a few on ebay!) That resulted in a whole bunch of crap that has been sold and shared. If I have to say just one, it would be Abeka math. I hated it and so did the kids. NOW, all purchases are thoroughly researched and gone over with friends(who use it) before being made. I am very happy with this year's selections.

4) ONE RESOURCE YOU ENJOYED LAST YEAR

The Prairie Primer. A friend at church loaned it to me and we have used it both exclusively and as a supplement. We will finish it this semester hopefully and it has taught us more than any other single item!


5) ONE RESOURCE YOU WILL BE USING THIS YEAR

My friend Eve turned me on to the most painless style of record keeping in the world-a spiral bound notebook. It is so simple it works. Just the date, which kid, and subjects along with page numbers and grades. I am so keeping track, really!! Loving it.

Also PATCH, our homeschool group. Don't know where I would be without my friends!!

6) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY

Some built-in floor-to-ceiling bookshelves in my dining room with one of those cool bench things with storage underneath right smack in the middle. Other than that, I think we have bought all my "dream" books for this year.

7) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH EXISTED

Rosie the Maid from "The Jetsons".

Or self-grading papers. (These are Sandy's but I totally agree!)

8) ONE HOMESCHOOL CATALOG YOU ENJOY READING

Rainbow Resource is the most thorough. Honestly though, I hate all of the catalogs. They hype the product and make it sound so good and then you get it and think-oh I didn't need that!!

9) ONE HOMESCHOOLING WEBSITE YOU USE REGULARLY

I guess blogs, mine as well as other homeschoolers. My blog helps me vent frustrations. Other people's have allowed me to cut myself some slack and realize there is no "perfect" day or way to homeschool. Also Lisa Whelchel, Blair Warner from "The Facts of Life" (Some of you don't know what I am talking about!!) has an awesome website with great recommendations!!

10) YOUR TURN!

If you don't homeschool, tweak it somehow and make it work!!

No comments: