Monday, August 13, 2007



Homeschool Curriculum!


I wanted to jump on the late bandwagon of the curriculum posts. Her link will trace you back to the original link which I am not linking because I read Sandy. Anywho, I don't have the homeschool longevity that Sandy does, I only really have about two years in-but in that time I have two tried and trues that I love.
Shurley English
I believe everyone should have a very strong grasp of language arts. I believe that even if you choose not to follow all of the rules all the time, you should still know what they are. This course starts at grade 1 and continues through grade 6, then it switches gears at grade 7. I love it because it starts small every year and builds all the parts of speech in. Kid learn and learn and learn some more. It also throws in some vocabulary and writing to make it a TP-total package.
Spell To Write and Read
I could go on and on about this program, but I won't. We have been taught all of our lives how words in English don't follow rules. This is not true. English words follow English rules. We just have alot of foreign words in our language and that makes things difficult. This course is preK-12 and starts with sounds letters make and turns your child into the best speller ever. It forces you to slow down and THINK about each word and the sounds made, not just sound it out blindly(and incorrectly). The true beauty of this plan is that it only takes about 15 minutes a day. GLORY! Plus, older children benefit from teaching the younger kids, not that this is a possibility in our home, but works for other people I know.
Lastly, a new and wonderful jewel. http://www.starfall.com/ Marvelous. If you have a preschooler or early reader, go there right now. Choose the appropriate level and let your kid play(learn) there right now!!

No comments: